Mar del Plata fields offer golf lovers the opportunity to play golf with a panoramic view of the sea, in a picturesque rolling landscape or in the heart of an ancient wood which colors the sight with a wide range of green shades.
Golf was first played in Argentina in the 19th century, in 1890, by the British senior railways executives, in the sand dunes of Playa Grande. Since then, this city has developed a passion for golf and today it has four clubs and five courses of international level which have been approved by the Asociación Argentina de Golf (Golf Association). They are available for players with or without handicap all year round. Some of them provide club hire and specialized shops to acquire a variety of clothes, equipment and golf accessories.
Mar del Plata gives the golfer the chance to play every day in a totally different course, making the challenge to the demanding amateur even more attractive. This is complemented by another Scottish-style course, set in Miramar, a neighboring city located 40 km away by Ruta 11 to the south.
Mar del Plata Golf Club
Golf was played in Mar del Plata for the first time in 1890, in the sand dunes in Playa Grande. The pioneers were the railway executives, who were all British. In 1897, the first match that is kept on record was played between the amateurs L. Walker and Tomas G. Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson chose the piece of land where the golf course was to be built and Juan Dentone was in charge of its building, in 1899.
The Mar del Plata Golf Club was founded on January 17, 1900, and the first president was Frank Henderson. By that time, over 50 amateurs had taken to playing golf. This was the fourth Golf Club to be founded; yet, having the other clubs changed either the name or the plot, this one turns out to be the oldest in our country.
The second set of 9 holes was opened in 1915, though a smaller course had existed since 1900, which was used for children’s learning. Pro-caddies activities were implemented in 1916; since then, they have focused on their education, health and spiritual guidance.
The Club has hosted different championships in which many world-renowned professionals have taken part, such as the Gran Premio para Aficionados y Profesionales par 72, our biggest championship held from 1918 to 1938, and later, the Campeonato Abierto del Sur de la República Argentina, since 1938.
The Club has been visited by most of the Argentine presidents of this century, and also by American presidents Eisenhower and Bush.
Most members attend the club during summer months, and the number of people declines in other seasons.
The well-known American expert Mr. Randall Thompson is the club golf course advisor and counselor
- Extension: 6.024 yards for gentlemen and 5.431 yards for ladies.
- Par ladies: 72.
- Par gentlemen: 70.
- Holes: 18.
The old course is British-type. It is uneven, short and undulating, sand-based and has narrow fairways.
- Location: Ubicación: Aristóbulo del Valle 3940, 7600 Mar del Plata. (Old course)
- Telephone number: 0223 4862221/2329
Sierra de los Padres Golf Club
The Sierra de los Padres Golf Club is located within only 16 kilometers from Mar del Plata, framed in the beautiful highland landscape that gives it its name. It is visited by numerous children and adults who enjoy its playground. Big players have visited it, and an amusing anecdote is that its first professional player was Roberto De Vicenzo.
The club was founded on August 13, 1959 when a group of visionary golf players of Los Troncos Club formed the first managerial commission, presided by Don Ennio Barassi. It is necessary to mention that the field had existed since 1955, originally designed by the engineer Luther Koontz, and constructed by Alfranco S.A., a company in charge of the urbanization of Sierra de los Padres.
The playground is at the foot of the Sierra de los Padres. It consists of 18 holes with a tour of 5.915 meters, with a par of 74 for ladies and 71 for gentlemen.
At least 3 tournaments per week, opened to players with National handicap, are held in it.
The field presents an amazing coloring due to the typical vegetation of the zone and an impressive landscape with the Sierras as background. The fauna is also typical of the place, with a vast number of birds’ species inhabiting there along with other highland animals.
It is possible to contemplate the nature’s spirit to its fullest, in the company of relatives and friends, and enjoying the game or a lunch in the Restaurant or terrace. The peace and the reigning quietude of the area are propitious to spend a moment as agreeable as unforgettable.
- Extension: 40 hectares covering 5, 395 yards.
- Par ladies: 74.
- Par gentlemen:72.
- Members: 395
- Narrow greens, rolling fairways.
- Tee de Oro, in November .
- Amistad Tournaments .
The course was designed by Engineer Luther Koontz. There is a golf school for children from 8 years old.
Club Mar del Plata Golf "Los Acantilados"
At first, the club activities were carried out in Parque Camet (park), over a 9-hole course designed by Architect Alexis Makenzie. Later on, in the 50´s, the lands of Camet were expropriated, so the club authorities decided to find a new site. With the compensation obtained, they were able to buy a piece of land covering 93 hectares, which is the present setting of the club.
Thanks to the help of the professional Pedro Churio, a golf course was built. On January 1, 1956 a building for the social activities was started and the first 9 holes were inaugurated that year. Afterwards, the remaining nine holes were completed thus giving birth to the well-known “yellow course”. Subsequently, Agustín Posse and the foreman Herminio Brunatti completed the course from the 19th to the 27th present holes.
The headquarters started to be erected in 1959 and two years later, it was opened. The Club House had two inaugurations, the definitive one was held in December 1961. Previously, the club house was used as “the House”. Until 1985, the beach resorts of Playa Grande belonged to this club.
A canopy was placed over the terrace and the dining-room covering a surface of 180 m2. A new secretary office, as well as new toilets and showers, were built. Simultaneously, the building of the children’s house was started. Today, there is a 3750 m2 covered area.
- Extension: 96 has.
- Par gentlemen: 72.
- Par ladies: 74.
- Holes: 18.
- Members: 630.
- Copa de Oro Dr. Eugenio Blanco, in January
- Copa de Oro Senior, in October
In winter, there are open tournaments every weekend and in summer, there are tournaments every day. These are open to the public during week days, and are exclusive for members at weekends.
Marayui Country Club
This 9-hole course with 18 tees, 18 flags and 122 greens can hold 60 players. Its American design complies with the USGA (United States Golf Association), and its greens have been built accordingly and protected with bunkers of exceptional design. The Arroyo Seco (stream) of considerable water flow crosses the course and frames a unique scenario. Besides, this course boasts the largest hole 9 of 605 yards.
The golf course was designed by Ronald Fream Desing Group, Ltd. from Santa Rosa, California, USA. The Engineer Luis Teran Etchecopar was in charge of the first building stage, while the conclusion of this project was in the hands of Mr. Roberto Hume, prominent golf player from Mar del Plata city.
Forestation of the wooded area took place in 1945, under the supervision of the well-known landscape designers Eng. Neira and Ezcurra. Also Eng. Carlos Thays collaborated in this project.
Despite being a club, Marayuí Country Club golf course is open to the general public, though members have priority picking dates and times.
- Extension: 6,433 yards for men and 5,690 for women
- Par gentlemen: 72.
- Par ladies: 73.
- Holes: 9