Mar del Plata

Sierra de los Padres

Consulta Multiple CONSULTAR
Todos
History

On November 3rd 1746, the Jesuit missionaries, José Cardiel, Tomás Falkner, Matías Strobel, Gerónimo Rejón y Manuel Querini, sent by the Spanish Crown, settled down on the coast of Laguna de las Cabrillas (today Laguna de los Padres) and founded the Mission Nuestra Señora del Pilar del Volcán (Vuulcan’s, that is opening between two hills) referring to the mountain chain that go down from Tandilia, across Balcarce, continues in Sierra de los Padres and goes into the sea in Cabo Corrientes.
Sierra de los Padres
Autor: MardelPlata.com
Sierra de los Padres
Autor: MardelPlata.com
Sierra de los Padres
Autor: MardelPlata.com
On November 3rd 1746, the Jesuit missionaries, José Cardiel, Tomás Falkner, Matías Strobel, Gerónimo Rejón y Manuel Querini, sent by the Spanish Crown, settled down on the coast of Laguna de las Cabrillas (today Laguna de los Padres) and founded the Mission Nuestra Señora del Pilar del Volcán (Vuulcan’s, that is opening between two hills) referring to the mountain chain that go down from Tandilia, across Balcarce, continues in Sierra de los Padres and goes into the sea in Cabo Corrientes.

They found the zone populated with tough tribes of different ethos’ which were named Pampas or Serranos by them. The Cangapol headman was the one who most fought against the Mission, which had a lot of tents. Indians asked for yerba, tobacco and sorts and as they didn’t get them, they increased the attacks. This fact caused the zone’s depopulation in 1751.

During those years, usages, customs and aborigine languages were documented and later compiled by P. J. Labrador and Guillermo Furlong.

Regarding its topography, the zone date from the Precambrian period (2000 million years old) being later eroded by movements that originated grottos and caves. For example, La Gruta de los Pañuelos (Handkerchiefs Grotto), on the top of the sierra, and El Peñón de Santillán (Santillán’s Large Crag) -a stony mass, worthy to be studied- near the antennas.

In 1826, the Laguna de los Padres Ranch is founded at the lagoon, where José Hernández –Martin Fierro’s creator- settled down. He stayed there for more than 10 years together with his father, letting us deduce that more than one idea of the masterpiece of argentine vernacular literature, was developed there.